Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cheeseburger Pie, Modified!

When I was little, one of my favorite dishes that my Mom made was the Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie. It was just delicious, and it felt like such a treat when she made it. For a meal that is high in protein, this one works well! There is of course fat and calories, but I modified it by using skim milk, 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar, very lean ground beef, and Heart Smart Bisquick. I also decided to add in some Quinoa to up the protein just a bit more. And, I have to be honest, It wasn't that noticeable! I forgot to mix it in with the ground beef and onions, so it was on top, but I imagine it would be even LESS noticeable if you did that.

So, here is what the final product looked like:

I probably should have let it brown some more, but it smelled so good! So, here is the recipe:

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup 2% Milk Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Heart Smart Bisquick® mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup quinoa, cooked

The first thing to do is preheat the oven! Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate with a nonstick cooking spray.

In skillet, cook the beef and the onion over medium-high heat. (I started this off and combined the other ingredients while the beef was cooking.) Once the beef is browned, drain off the fat. Mix the cooked quinoa in with the beef and onion. Spread the beef mixture into the pie plate.

In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients: Bisquick®, milk, eggs, salt, and cheddar cheese*. You can use a fork or a whisk. Pour this over the beef mixture in the pie plate.

Bake for 25 minutes. Insert a knife or toothpick in the center and make sure it comes out clean.

And, there you go! That is my updated Cheeseburger Pie. I will say, as I ate it, I realized this would be one of my new comfort foods! It was so tasty, and I had fond memories of my Mom's cooking.

Nutritional Information: 225 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 20.5 grams of protein.
One serving is 1/8 of the pie. I rounded up for the nutritional info.

*Note: I kind of made this a bit differently from what Betty Crocker suggests. Instead of mixing the salt and the cheese in with the eggs, milk, and Bisquick®, they have you stirring the salt in with the beef and onions, pouring that into the pie plate, and then sprinkling with the cheese. The way I did it, the cheese stays on top anyway, so I was just as happy with the result.


Get your ingredients together.


Cook ground beef and onion.


Mix together remaining ingredients.


Pour ground beef mixture into pie plate.


Pour egg mixture over the beef mixture. Bake!

Enjoy!
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment